Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The London 2012 Olympics!

Its been so much fun being in the UK during the London 2012 Olympics.  I've enjoyed the buzz in the air and the excitement in Cambridge and London.  For the past two weeks, I'll go to the cafe after class and work on stuff on my laptop while I watch the olympic coverage on BBC.  We've had some olympic viewing parties in my flat when we'll all pull our chairs into the biggest bedroom, deposit a pile of chocolate on the table and watch the days highlights.  I've been really lucky to be a part of not one, but two olympics.  If you had told me at the 2002 SLC Winter games that ten years later I would be attending the 2012 London Summer games, I certainly wouldn't have believed you!  

Last Saturday, some friends and I went into London to enjoy the olympic atmosphere.  This was my third time being in London and I love that I'm feeling so comfortable on the tube.  I finally feel like I can navigate the city and be ok on my own.  

Here is the countdown clock in Trafalgar Square.    


Trafalgar Square!


Originally, I was just going to take a picture in front of the lion, but then I'd realized that I wanted to know what it felt like to ride Aslan!  It was great and I'm glad I did it.  The lion is so huge!


After taking pictures at Trafalgar, we all split up to do our own things for an hour.  Corey worked on her paper, Katherine watched a National Ballet class and I explored the National Gallery.  It was wonderful!  They have so many amazing paintings there.  I particularily enjoyed the impressionist and 18th C. galleries.  It was nice being there by myself and being able to take my time in the exhibits.  I only got through a third of it during that hour, so I'll have to go back before I leave.  


The square was a lot more crowded when we came out.  In the middle there was a mariachi band and lots of Mexican fans who were getting pumped up about the final football match against Brazil that night.  You could definitely feel the olympic spirit in the air!



The mariachi band let the little english kids try on their hats.  I thought it was cute. 


After that we made a short stop at Portabello road (an amazing street fair that had a mix of antiques, food, clothes, jewelry and other random items).  Here I met up with my cousins Meredith and Stephanie who were in town for the weekend.  It was so fun to see them!  


After leaving Portabello, we headed over to Buckingham palace to wait for the Women's 20k Race Walking event to start.  


Here they come!  


Me, Katherine and Corey watching the race.  


Watching race walking was truly an olympic experience.  We were surrounded by people from all over world.  There were Germans and Italians to our right, Irish and Chinese to our left, and Bolivians and English behind us.  We let the little British boys behind us come in front so they could see.  They were so adorable!  Next to them was a chinese family that was living in Aberdeen Scotland.  Each time the chinese competitor passed the mother would try to get her girls to chant "Go China" (but in Chinese) with her.  I loved hearing all the different languages and being a part of the olympic spirit.  It was an amazing experience and I don't think I'll ever forget it.  


This is a picture of the russian athlete who was in first for all ten laps.  She was going so fast!  She even lapped some of the other competitors.


At the very last second she was passed by her Russian teammate who you see below.  I felt so bad for first Russian girl! I would have been so mad to be beat by my teammate after being in first the entire time.  



After the race, we went to Herrods to get some dinner (an excellent decision).  Katherine and I split a ham sandwich and were treated to dessert and Laduree macaroons by Stephanie.  Here is Steph, Mere and I with our purchases (and yes, Mr. Gingerbreadman was quite good).  Oh, and notice my newly acquired brown leather jackets from Portabello Road!  I've been looking for one for quite a while now, so I was excited to find it.  


After watching the sunset, we found out way to the outdoor viewing screens and watched some of the men's diving competition.  There were several other giant screens showing field hockey and boxing.  It was fun hearing cheers from all over the field as spectators watched the screens. What a great end to wonderful day.

2 comments:

  1. Love the jacket! Super cute. Glad you found one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool that you were there during the Olympics! And I love the jacket. :-)

    ReplyDelete